Sunday, February 22, 2015

Dipping a toe in my thoughts

I undertook an interesting exercise this week, mostly by happenstance: I reread some of my old blog posts. It was actually revelatory. Not because I think my writing was brilliant or my insights particularly incisive, but it reminded me of how much I enjoyed maintaining a blog. Perhaps the best insight it provided, however, was that I seemed to a far-more interesting person when I was posting entries! Which of course got me wondering: did I seem more interesting because I was able to pull out the best parts of my life when I wrote them down, or was I, flat out, just more interesting at one time? It's an important question, and it makes me examine some of the evidence:

- I was reading more books back then, not to mention I was more thoughtful about what I was reading
- I seemed to be going out with my friends more often
- I listened to more music and (seemingly) saw more films.

Ok, maybe that's not entirely persuasive! But it did bring a general feeling to mind that I've become a little staid and predictable. I miss the "rawness" that I enjoyed (albeit not all the time!) back then. I think I need to bring that back. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Michael said...

That's probably a large part of the value of keeping a personal blog, like a personal journal or something - you get to look back and remember not just what was happening at a certain point in your life, but also what you were thinking about it. If you're lucky maybe you'll come up with some kind of cohesive narrative to your life. Or maybe you'll look back and life will just look like a bunch of stuff that happened, tied together with no thematic consistency other than that it all happened to one person.