Monday, July 21, 2008

Good fortune!

So today got off to a good and unexpected start: I won tickets on a radio show! Even better, it's actually something I'm interested in (the men's tennis final here in Toronto on Sunday), and it allowed me to utilize some of the arcane tennis trivia knowledge I've stored since I was a teenager (I knew it would come in handy one day...). I was probably more excited than I should have been, but it's a big moment for me. For one, I've never actually won anything in my life. More important, I actually had to earn it by answering the trivia question. A nice start to the work week.

As a result of my good fortune, I decided to head down to the police station holding those stolen bikes they recovered from a downtown store. (For those of you who missed it, the police busted up a long-renowned bicycle theft scam run out of a "shop" in the city.) As many of you know, my bike got ripped off late last year from my front porch. (So much for the supposedly impenetrable German lock I bought.) At the time, I filed a police report, even though I had lost the serial number (it was on the sales slip, which I had misplaced). It was a crazy scene: they had about 30 to 40 bikes on display, but the rest were stacked up in three separate warehouse-style rooms. Basically if one didn't have a serial number, you were basically screwed in terms of finding your stolen wheels. One of the police women mentioned that this set-up was only temporary, that they were planning on moving the bikes into another location where they could all be spread out and organized by make. At this point, I'm not all that hopeful, but I retain some faith.

The good news is that, when I got home, I suddenly remembered where I had put my sales slip and the serial number. So at least now I can give that to the police - that might help in identifying my bike, if it was one of the found ones.

Needless to say, if I manage to recover my beloved bike, I'll be buying a lottery ticket. Things come in threes, don't they?

No comments: