Saturday, December 27, 2008

The holiday edition of PN

Well, I have returned. (BTW, has anybody else noticed that the incoming president of the United States begins many of his answers to questions with the word "well"? Take note.) It's been a wonderful week of Washington (there's that alliteration again) and family xmas cheer. And while I love my family, I have to admit that I'm sort-of glad that the familial obligations are over. Particularly since I now have a full week to enjoy the peace and solitude of leisure life.

What's on the agenda? Not really sure, actually, although I have a stack of movies on DVD awaiting, and various books scattered around the apartment. Shopping too, specifically for a new computer. My nearly six-year old Dell desktop is running veerrrryy slowly of late and periodically makes some strange noises. Time to move on and head back into the Apple world (after a several-years absence) with the purchase of a new 13-inch MacBook. (I also messed up when printing out itunes gift certificates for my nieces, so now I have $30 to spend. What hardship.) Basically I'm going to be in serious chill-out mode.

For those wondering about Washington, it was a great, fun-filled trip. We had to scramble to get out a day earlier than anticipated because of the storm that was about to hit the city, but it worked out perfectly. It was a hoot to wake up on Friday morning in the hotel's comfy king-size bed, the travelling portion complete, and able to begin our trip in earnest. The city totally rocked - I suppose not too surprising given my passionate interest in US history and politics. (It's something of a shock that I've never visited.) The "touristy" sites were grand, particularly the Lincoln Memorial (go at night, when it's really majestic and awe-inspiring), the Archives (natch), the Library of Congress and the Supreme Court. (About the only disappointment was the Capital Hill tour. What a dud.) We also loved wandering the various neighbourhoods, such as Adams Morgan (go in the evening when the nightlife is lively) and Dupont Circle, and spent Sunday afternoon at the Kennedy Center to watch and listen to a performance of Handel's Messiah. And of course we ate wonderfully well - that's always one of the highlights when the lovely A. and I travel. Much seafood was consumed. Photos of the trip to come soon on my flickr site, although I (perhaps suprisingly) didn't take too many. (That's also on "to do" list: to spend some serious time updating my flickr site, which is beginning to grow cobwebs from inactivity. I'm getting the itch to venture out with the trusty Canon to do some snapping.)

So it seems I'm in something of a short story mood of late. This is something I'm going to write about - and will include my own recent attempts at writing a couple of stories! It's been a while since I indulged in some fiction - I basically gave up writing "creatively" a few years back when I realized I didn't have as much talent as I'd like - but I'm feeling increasingly inspired. It's probably still crap, but hey, at least it's good for the soul.

No comments: