Thursday, January 8, 2009

In "a bit of a mood"

I've struggled with my mood these past couple of days. Maybe this is retribution for writing about my general optimistic attitude about life. ("You think you're a happy person, do you? Well let me prove to you otherwise!") Or for raising the issue of politics (where, most of the time, I'm probably talking out of my ass). I've been feeling sad and bitter, and fighting off what I would call a low-grade depression. Probably - and hopefully - just a case of the blues.

Where is this mood coming from? It's partly the job. Maybe two weeks wasn't enough recovery time from a stressful December. More to the point, I'm somewhat bored and frustrated with the gig. Of course there are parts of it I absolutely love, but lately they seem to be outweighed by the less-savoury bits. Like feeling like the low person on the totem. Having no power or authority, that my day-to-day duties are dictated by someone other than me. You get the gist. This is something I'll have to work through.

I'm also feeling a mite annoyed that I have all these little chores to do over the next few days (get my new iPod fixed - yes, it took less than two months to break down - remove a hard drive from my old computer, reformat it for my niece, buy milk) that, for some reason, are getting me down.

I'm also feeling nauseous, which doesn't help.

So rather than bore and frustrate you silly with these annoyances of mine, I'll end this here.




Reading: Keith Gessen's All the Sad Young Literary Men. (Gessen is the founding editor of the interesting literary journal n+1.)
Watching: nothing, really.
Listening to: NPR's Fresh Air on my nano.

No comments: