Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Just five more things

Why do we like lists so much? Is it because most of us like some semblance of order? A way to make sense of our crazed world? Hmm, even though that's hardly philosophical, it seems too much for my tiny brain to ponder this evening. (My head is full of archival theories - like, how does an organization handle electronic records? If only I knew.)

I took a couple of days to ponder the last five albums that changed my life - even though, as I explained below, not all of these were life altering. Some are just kick-ass.

21. Greatest Hits – James Taylor. I used this album to comfort me back in the early 1990s when I struggled to find work. Even when I was feeling down and low (or should I “down and blue,” as James sang in “Something in the Way She Moves”), this CD would always lift my spirits a mite, and made me realize that better days lay ahead. And they did.

22. A Charlie Brown Christmas – Vince Guaraldi Trio. The best holiday recording of all time. I can listen to this in July and it makes me yearn for the holiday season. Has it changed my life? Of course not, but it always brings a smile to my face and warmth in my heart. That should be enough to merit inclusion on this list.

23. Songs for Swinging Lovers – Frank Sinatra. This recording is important for two reasons: it was the first album my parents owned (they bought it for their Blackpool honeymoon 50 years ago) and it was the album that introduced to me Sinatra, who is my favourite singer of all time. Beginning with “You Made Me Feel So Young” and ending with “How About You” (a song that was sort-of a theme song for me and my second serious girlfriend), it's the quintessential romantic Sinatra album. (I knew a relationship was doomed many years ago when the woman I was seeing told me, “I don't like his voice.” Not exactly shared sensibilities.)

24. Check Your Head – The Beastie Boys. P. Introduced me to this fantastic CD while I was visiting him in Japan back in 2001. Not only is it a great album (“Funky boss, funky boss, funky boss, get off my back”), but it will forever remind me of those weeks I spent in the land of the rising sun (that's Japan, right?). (I should also give a shout-out to The Best of Sade, another great CD which accompanied me on many a train ride in Japan.)

25. Let it Die – Feist. While compiling this list, it made me realize how few recent releases were included. I sort-of lost interest in new music a few years ago, largely because I thought the music scene wasn't talking to me anymore. Not that I was unaware of some interesting bands, but I wasn't proactive enough to seek them out. But this remarkable album by Feist, which blew me away on first listen, really got me galvanized to explore some new bands, particularly those coming out of Canada. Now I'm forever seeking out new music (via the Toronto Public Library – it's a fantastic resource for Canadian bands). Thank you, Leslie.

Honourable mentions:

Body and Soul - Joe Jackson (actually, I'm shocked there's no JJ on the list since he's still one of my favourite artists; he'd be in the top five of my all-time favourite musicians, to be sure)
Everybody Digs Bill Evans - Bill Evans
Grace – Jeff Buckley
Fumbling Toward Ecstasy – Sarah McLachlan
The Complete Blue Note Recordings (Vols 1 & 2) – Thelonious Monk. (Because a day without Monk, is like a day without sunshine.)
Selling England by the Pound - Genesis
Charlie Parker's Complete Dial Recordings
Pretty much anything by my one of my favourite composers, Antonio Carlos Jobim

Ah, lists. Tailor-made blog posts. I'm sure there's another one in me, and soon. Mind is obviously pre-occupied right now with other matters.

No comments: