Monday, July 2, 2012

As the evening approaches...

Geez, I'm so out of practice on blogging, I forgot to title my last post! In my defence, I'm not accustomed to the new layout of blogger, so I didn't even notice I hadn't included a title. I'll try to be careful in the future...

So I had a nice ride out to the Leslie Spit. I'm almost ashamed to admit this, but I've been living in Toronto now for half my life, and that's actually the first time I've ever visited the Spit. But it fits in nicely with what I hope will be the theme of the summer: venturing to different parts of the city that have gone largely unexplored by myself (there are way too many to name, but places like the Scarborough Bluffs come to mind, along with various city neighbourhoods like the Junction, etc.), along with events that I've long meant to do but never seem to get around to (like the many outdoor films this city offers during the warm months of summer).

The Spit was interesting, and it certainly was a nice ride out there. The waterfront trail was busy, but thankfully not too crazily packed with cyclists and rollerbladers. (One negative observation: they really need to do something about that stretch of Queen's Quay near and around Harbourfront. What a disaster that is for everybody alike: pedestrians, transit users, drivers and especially cyclists.) Along the way I stopped first at the Sherbourne Common, which I've meaning to visit since it opened last year. I'll admit, I wasn't totally blown away by it, but that might have more to do with the time of day, when it was under the mid-day sun. My guess is that the park is more picturesque when the sun isn't so high in the sky - but that's a total guess. I've included a couple of photos (as I packed my camera for my journey).


(Hmm, sorry, they seem to be sticking together.)

And then it was on to the Spit, after riding past Cherry Beach (another landmark I had never visited, although I had been close a number of times since I've been to that awful The Docks venue to see a copule of concerts). I actually wasn't sure what to expect, but I brought a book and my journal (and a sandwich) with me in case there was a natural place to sit and relax for a while. Well, there wasn't, but that's ok since it was still a great place to cycle around. I ventured to the very tip (where the lighthouse is), and stopped a couple of times along the way to take a few photos. I've included two below.



(Ok, I'm getting the hang of adding photos...)

For those that have never visited the Spit, it's definitely worth a cycle out. I doubt I'll spend too much time there - I like a little more trees and shade to sit under - but I'm glad I finally made it there.

Sadly, when I got home, I seemed to lapse into this incredibly profound, and somewhat debilitating, case of the blues. (I don't like using the word "depression," but it did feel like that.) I think the varioud events of the past week or so finally caught up with me and told hold of my emotions in a very negative way. I wasn't quite sure what to do, so I lay on the bed until I fell asleep. That seemed to work. I'm still feeling a little "raw" emotionally, but not near as bad as earlier. I'm going to settle into my evening with a G&T out on the back deck and the Franzen novel Freedom, which I picked up a few weeks back.

A two post day. Impressive! (Pity I probably don't have any readers to impress.)

1 comment:

Rebecca Rosenblum said...

Heya,

Welcome back. Just FYI, readers like me (I would assume many are, but who knows) just subscribe to a blog's feed or add it to a reader service. Then, when you update, we see the post--and when you don't, nothing happens. Some people might purge their readers a couple times a year for non-updating/non-interesting blogs, but I bet most of us leave the hiatus blogs on there, out of laziness or to see what happens.

So in short, I bet most of your "feed readers" are still with you. I am!!