Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The mid-week

Apologies for my whiny post from the weekend. I think I must have woke up on the proverbial wrong side of the bed. (Does adding "proverbial" absolve me from using cliches, I wonder?) I actually ended up having a nice weekend overall. First, some jazz at the Pilot:


And then later that evening, hanging out on my back deck with friend/colleague M. (One day I'm going to riff about my friendship with her, and how bizarre it is to be relatively good friends with her after lusting for her when I didn't even know her. That's a whole other story I don't feel in the mood to explore.) Sunday was a nice chill day spent reading on the couch, napping, and generally just loafing about. It was fun to watch the sheets of rain descend on my back deck as well.

After killing myself both Monday and Tuesday working on a newsletter which I edit (the things we do to put on our resume to help secure tenure!), I've mostly had a relaxing Wed. evening. First a run (this is me icing my tender left calf):



Then a nice pasta dinner:


Complemented rather nicely by a big bold red wine from Argentina. (The heat has passed, so it's safe to bring out the reds again.) I've spent much of the evening buying music off iTunes. When I bought my new computer about a month ago, I received a $100 gift certificate for the iTunes store (it was some promotion having to do with education; I was able to take advantage of the education discount), so I've slowly been making some new purchases. Tonight it was the new Punch Brothers, then took a flyer on a Canadian (but now NYC dwelling) jazz musician named Kris Davis, and then the new Brad Mehldau Trio recording. I also discovered Fiona Apple tonight, after taking out one of her CDs from the TPL. How have I missed her for all these years?! She's great!

So what's the point of this crazily boring post? I guess to say that I'm doing well. And to show off my dinner.

No comments: