Saturday, January 4, 2014

Assignment #2: Flowers and Floors

Assignment #2 of the January Cure arrived yesterday morning - and of course the first thing I did was pretty much ignore it and work on another home project. I bought a few new clothes on Thursday evening, and wanted to implement another new rule I came up with for 2014: new clothing should replace old clothing, so every new purchase should come with the purging of an old. To that end, I went through my dresser drawer and assessed, sometimes harshly, my existing clothes to determine what should be kept, what needed to be donated, and what should be tossed entirely (and/or made into handy-dandy cleaning rags - I felt I was channeling Martha Stewart). It's something I had been meaning to do for a while, particularly since I found myself putting on a lot of odd socks and ones with holes in the toes. It was a useful exercise, and made me realize I probably need to buy a couple of more sweaters to get me through the winter.

I will do the second assignment this weekend though, especially since I've been itching to do a good vacuuming and mopping since I returned from my trip. What I probably won't do, however, is buy flowers for the apartment - not because I don't like fresh-cut flowers (perish the thought!) but largely because I don't have a spare vase right now. So I've added that to my "to purchase" list (which seems to be growing as I contemplate the continued reorganization of my living space). Obviously my big purchasing decision will be a sofa, which I desperately need. Just browsing about online this morning at the various furniture stores in the city, I realize this is going to be a time-consuming chore. I hope I'm up for the challenge.

The other meaningful activity I did yesterday was go through my external hard drive to look at photographs I've taken over the years. Some of the photos are really quite wonderful (!), so it's going to be a fun exercise to go through them more thoroughly to decide what to print, what to get enlarged, etc. And then it'll be off to a photo frame store.

I just hope that my energy level for this home reno project continues once I get back to work on Monday.

No comments: