Friday, November 28, 2008

Too old for the social scene?

Went to see Broken Social Scene last night at the Sound Academy (formerly the Docks; I'd like to know whose bright idea it was to build a venue that's not transit friendly - the taxi union, maybe, if there is indeed such a thing?). It was a great show by a very good band. I like their recordings, but seeing them live was a totally different and fantastic experience. These guys and gals are true musicians, and quirky songwriters. Not only that, I like the "collective" idea behind them: that the band is fluid and can cycle different musicians in and out yet keep the true BSS "spirit." (No Feist last night, unfortunately.) Or maybe that's what precisely gives them that spirit. I was telling a colleague this morning that what I like best about them is how they create a wonderful "wall of sound" (and not, not a Phil Sector one).

The one thing I didn't enjoy last night was the concert's venue and having to jostle with many younger, drunker people for space. (Those all-ages shows are the worst because they shoehorn those looking for a beer into one sliver of the room.) I was thinking how much more I would have enjoyed the show if it was at, say, Massey Hall, where I could sit and really groove to the tuneage. (That's a made up word, but a good one.) It makes me think I'm getting too old for those shows. But maybe it isn't an age thing at all since I don't think I've ever enjoyed standing to watch a concert! On the plus side, I enjoyed wandering the city streets afterward - I love the city at night. (I'm paying for it today though since I'm going on about 5 hours sleep.)

Crazy, frustrating (and largely unhappy) work week that I'm glad is coming to an end. Wish I could have blogged more about it (hopefully next week), but I just didn't have the time to put together any sensible, thoughtful words.

1 comment:

Aunty Christ said...

Ah, lucky you. I would've liked to have seen that show, except, as you say, for the rude young 'uns bumping into me. The last show I enjoyed was Grizzly Bear, when they played at a venue with enough couches and chairs for everyone. It was like being at someone's amazingly cool, laid back house party. No one bumped into us, trying to get more floor space, the crowd behind us didn't suddenly rise up and decide to crush us into the crowd in front of us. That was nice. And I did used to enjoy the mosh pit, so I think it must be an age thing.

Sounds like a good show, though.