Monday, November 10, 2008

well, so much for that early night and reading in bed

A wonderful discovery tonight: I have full access to the digital archives of the New Yorker magazine! Of course I probably already have it through work, but there's something special about being able to access it through my own means. Unfortunately it has its flaws, namely that printing off articles is pointless (there's no way to alter the image on the screen to get a full and readable page). But hey, why carp? (Why salmon? Why tuna?) But what it means is that I've been playing around with the damn thing, typing in authors I'm interested in (Murakami, Roth, etc.) and checking out their stories as they originally appeared in the magazine. (It's almost as interesting to look at the layout of the magazine back in the 1950s, not to mention the ads.) So my grand plan to get to bed early tonight to (*finally*) finish Atwood's The Robber Bride hasn't been realized.

But tomorrow's lunch needs to be made (I'm hoping to get up early for a run), so I'm signing off. Until tomorrow.

No comments: